Entrepreneurs use social media platforms to create online communities, share information, ideas, messages and other forms of content.
I’ve have divided the social media platforms into 10 categories:
- Social networking sites which include websites like Facebook, Google +, Gather, CafeMom, Friendster, hi5, MyLife, XING, Plaxo, Fitsugar and many more.
- Microblogging sites which include websites like Twitter, FriendFeed, Tumblr, Plurk, Identi.ca, SpotJots and many more.
- Blogging sites and publishing tools which include WordPress, Squarespace and Blogger.
- Collaboration tools namely WikiTravel, Wikipedia, WikiBooks etc.
- Review & Rating sites namely Angie’s List, Amazon ratings etc.
- Video sharing websites namely YouTube, Viddler, Vimeo and many more.
- Image sharing websites namely Instagram, Flickr, Pinterest etc.
- Broadcasting tools namely Ustream, Blog Talk radio, Livestream etc.
- Social bookmarking sites namely Delicious, Reddit, Digg etc.
- Location based services like Check-ins, Foursquare, Yelp etc.
Which category of platforms are you currently using? Let us know where you find the best results.